12 April 2013

to shelter is to protect


the house is a whirlwind of a mess. 
a colliding cacophony of messy needs and thinking minds. 
trumpeting and outstretched lanky limb-ed boys 
clamoring over couches and flying footballs through 
the front door. a mess is a mess is a mess.

the house is a whirlwind of busy. 
a thumping thudding of fastness, of rushed wrongs 
pushed about in the wind. of the quiet trampled underfoot
and newly forged dreams fleeting then forgotten in the need 
to keep apace. a busy bee is a busy boy is a busy bee. 

my home is a whirlwind of hope, and salt air, and sand.
of crushed shell crabs picked apart by gulls, and tiny clams
littered across the beach, dug up by baby hands
and buckets of sandcastles, of tiny things scooching 
back into their sandy beds.  

my home is the whirlwind of hope in the salt air and the blowing sand. it lies just behind the dune, sheltered from the crashing sea in hurricane high winds, hiding from the beating drum beat of the rain and the sing-song sobbing night. it it the soft cup of my hands overlaying hearts, scooping up souls, writing of the sandcastles laid in stone upon the protected pier of my house.

9 comments:

  1. Simply BEAUTIFUL. Thank you - had similar thoughts of breathing sea air today as the boys walked along the sea front back and forth from painting class.
    Chey xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Chey! wait are you painting? oh please post on this (or if the boys are painting...). thanks again ever so much for your loveliest of notes. xo

      Delete
    2. The boys have a started a hobby here in the UK - painting mini figures. I will take pics and post soon. I also enjoy the creativity of children and try to capture it when I can.
      Chey xo

      Delete
  2. How I wish sometimes that we lived near the sand! I love the smell of the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we live a short distance from it, but since we live in west los angeles you have to be almost on top of the beach to smell the salt air. but still, it is one of my most favorite scents in the world. xo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Oh thanks so Catherine. so so lovely to see your name in my comment section. a little gift from across the sea. xo

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Perspective is everything, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Inge! & I always say yes to perspective. xo

      Delete

hello there! I love it so when you leave a bit of a note to let me know how you are and what you are thinking. I always love to hear about the things inspiring you and moving you through your day.

About Recently...